Today we'll attach an invisible zipper, and I'll show you the easiest way I know of for sewing it.
Close the zipper slit on the left side seam by basting it. Make sure the horizontal seams of the waist yokes match on front and back panels. Press the seams open.
Open the zipper and press it while uncurling its teeth. This will enable you to approach closer to the teeth when sewing.
After the pressing the zipper should look like this when closed.
Baste the zipper to the skirt with the teeth next to the skirt. Make sure the teeth are well centered against the zipper slit. Baste the zipper band only to the slit seam allowances, but not to the skirt panel.
Unpick the basting from the zipper slit.
Using either a zipper foot or a piping foot (show on the picture below) sew the zipper to the skirt, by sewing as close as possible to the zipper teeth. The sewing direction should be from the top towards the bottom of the zipper. Repeat the process for both zipper bands.
Pull the zipper head up and close it. The zipper should close smoothly and easily. If you have difficulties closing the zipper you have probably sewn too close to the zipper teeth and you will need to unpick several stitches and re-sew the zipper at the place.
Press the side seam along the zipper slit. This will turn the zipper to its previous state.
Zlata Sewalong - the posts
- #1 Fabric recommendations
- #2 Print the pattern
- #3 Fitting alterations - grading the pattern
- #4 Fitting alterations for protruding rear
- #5 Cut the fabric
- #6 Sew the belt loops
- #7 Pleat the skirt
- #8 Sew the pockets
- #9 Assemble the skirt
- #10 Sew an invisible zipper
- #11 Sew a lapped zipper
- #12 Assemble the lining
- #13 Sew the button closure
- #14 Hem the skirt, method 1
- #15 Hem the skirt, method 2
- #16 Hem the skirt, method 3
- #17 Pattern alterations for various styles
How to buy the pattern
Zlata skirt pattern costs $11.98,and it can be bought via my Etsy shop.
I use 2Checkout as a payment collector - it is an equivalent to PayPal - which accepts the following payment methods:
* PayPal via 2checkout (www.2co.com)
* Credit / Debit cards via 2checkout : Visa, Dina Card, Master Card, American Express, Discover
PayPal doesn't support selling option for my country yet, so I use 2Checkout payment collector instead.
When making a purchase order, select "Other" in the payment options. I have to manually issue an invoice for you, via 2Checkout system. The invoice contains a link where you can complete the purchase - it's a page on 2Checkout's website. Once you fill in your billing information, you can chose to pay either by using PayPal account or your credit card. You don't have to register to 2checkout and you won't be charged any additional fees. It's simple, fast and secure. Once the payment is completed, I will enable the pattern download on my Etsy store. I monitor the state of my Etsy store several times a day, and I get instant emails whenever any change is made, so the purchase is usually completed within the same day. Sometimes, due to my daily duties and a time zone differences, it takes more than a day to complete the purchase.
For any additional information about the pattern or the purchase, feel free to email me at: anajan.stepalica [at] gmail [dot] com.
- Zlata skirt Pattern #1401
- Zlata skirt pattern - view A
- Zlata skirt pattern - view B
- Zlata skirt pattern - view C
- Zlata skirt pattern - the lining pattern
- Zlata skirt - testing the pattern, part 1
- Zlata skirt - testing the pattern, part 2
- Zlata skirt - testing the pattern, part 3
- Zlata skirt - testing the pattern, part 4